Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bottom of the Barrel

Last year, things were rough at work. I wasn't able to balance my home life very well at that time, either. On the outside my life seemed pretty good, but inside I was uninspired. I was on autopilot, but not enjoying the ride.

Then came Amos. My hubby gave me Amos Lee's first CD out of the blue. When he handed it to me, I just popped it in my laptop and listened to it as I did my usual net surfing at night. I had been just listening to the songs as background music, but then I turned up the music. I felt the urge to listen to the album again from the beginning to really get a sense of what this artist was all about.

Amos had lyrics that were so honest. He wrote about being down and he expressed what I was feeling better than I could. "Bottom of the Barrel" hit home. I couldn't stop listening to this CD because I felt some comfort in his style. This was not a quick fix. Through time I was getting back to my happy, sunshine loving self, but it took a while. Maybe this bump in the road for me was just a natural occurence since we all have ups and downs in our lives. But now, Amos Lee's music is part of my life as a reminder that I too, the cheerful one, sometimes need to allow myself to be cheered up.

What song or artist has made an impression on you?

No comments: